#SMSociety Conference is on July 19-21, 2019
Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University
Many people do not require a visa to visit Canada. Visit Citizenship & Immigration Canada to find out whether you will need to apply for a travel visa and how to apply for one.
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
New entry requirement now in effect:
Visa-exempt travelers do not need an eTA when entering Canada by land (e.g. car or bus) or sea (e.g. cruise ship).
*Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa.
Travelling to Toronto
- Union Pearson Express Train ($12.35) – 25 min to Union Station downtown.
- Taxis (~$55 + tip) – 30 to 60 min to downtown.
- Uber and Lyft ($40-60) – 30 to 60 min to downtown.
- Public Transit (TTC) ($3.25) – 60 to 90 min to downtown.
- You can catch the 192 Airport Rocket bus on the lowest level of either terminal (column R4 in terminal 1, columns C8-C12 in terminal 3). At Kipling subway station (the last stop on the bus), transfer to the eastbound Bloor/Danforth subway line.
- The airport is located in downtown Toronto.
- There is a complimentary shuttle that will take you to Union Station where you can then take the subway to the nearest stop to your hotel.
- Taxis are located in-terminal and cost ~$10-15 to downtown.
For events happening around the time of the conference, check out our post on the city’s best attractions in July.
- In the city, you can use the TTC for subway, streetcars, and buses ($3.25). You can buy an unlimited one-day travel pass for $12.50 on all regular TTC routes (on weekends, the day pass is valid for two adults).
- Bike Share lets you rent bikes throughout the city.
- Toronto is a very walk-able city and the best way to enjoy the city is on foot.
- There is street parking and parking garages throughout downtown and near the conference. For street parking, check out Toronto’s Parking Authority Website or download the Green P app to your iOS/Android device.
- The conference will take place during regular work days, so please arrive earlier to find a parking spot.
There is no ‘conference’ hotel. For your convenience, we have compiled a list of accommodations near the conference venue (55 Dundas St W). The conference has no relationship with any of the providers and receives no financial return from any of these providers. Any rates/discounts mentioned are presented as a reference and might be higher at the time of your booking. We encourage you to shop around and book early.
Ryerson University Summer Housing:
International Living/Learning Centre
240 Jarvis St
160 Mutual St
$72 CAD (single rooms) and $144 (double rooms)
Daphne Cockwell Complex
288 Church St
University of Toronto Summer Housing:
New College Residences
40 Willcocks St
$50 CAD (single rooms only)
85 St. George St (Whitney Hall) and 75 St. George St (Morrison Hall)
$37 to $45 CAD
140 Charles St W
$77 CAD (for single rooms, check out their website for info on double rooms)
4 Devonshire Pl
$90 CAD (single rooms) or $130 CAD (double rooms)
Victoria Mansion Guest House
68 Cloucester St
$89 to $159 CAD
Spadina 11 Guesthouse
11 Spadina Rd
$55 to $99 CAD
41 Huntley St
$84 to $96 CAD
(various location and rates)
A great affordable option that allows you to live like a local by renting out a Toronto home.
Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
30 Carlton St
Eaton Chelsea Hotel
33 Gerrard St W
(various locations and rates)
Be sure to check the box for “Significant Organization Savings” to get up to 20% off on regular room rates.
The Choice Hotels closest to the conference site are:
- The Saint James Hotel (26 Gerrard St E)
- Comfort Inn City Centre (321 Jarvis St)
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Downtown (335 Jarvis St)
- Comfort Hotel Downtown (15 Charles St E)
Vegan & Vegetarian Food Options
Most of these choices are quite casual, but look out for the asterisk (*) to indicate more upscale dining options. Restaurants are listed starting from closest to conference venue.
Hibiscus – Assembly Chef’s Hall (111 Richmond St W)
Rosalinda* (133 Richmond St W)
Vegetarian Haven (17 Baldwin St)
Planta Queen* (180 Queen St W)
Fresh (47 Front St E)
Cosmic Treats (207 Augusta Ave)
Hogtown Vegan (382 College St)
Parka Food Co (424 Queen St W)
Away Kitchen (680 College St)
Hello 123* (1122 Queen St W)