The International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMsociety) is a gathering of leading social media researchers from around the world. It is the premier venue for sharing and discovering new peer-reviewed interdisciplinary research on how social media affects society. Organized by the Social Media Lab at Ted Rogers School of Management at Ryerson University, #SMSociety provides participants with opportunities to exchange ideas, present original research, learn about recent and ongoing studies, and network with peers.
The conference’s intensive program features hands-on workshops, full papers, work-in-progress papers, and panels. The wide-ranging topics in social media showcase research from scholars working in many fields including Communication, Computer Science, Education, Journalism, Information Science, Management, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology.
Starting in 2022, the conference will be hosted every other year (biennially).
2022 Organizing Committee
- Anatoliy GruzdConference ChairProfessor, Canada Research Chair and Director of Research at the Social Media Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
- Philip Mai, M.A., J.D.Conference Chair
Co-Director of the Social Media Lab, Ted Rogers School of Management, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
- Zoetanya SujonConference Chair
Senior Lecturer and the Programme Director for Communications and Media courses at London College of Communication (LCC), University of the Arts London, UK
- James CookConference Chair
Associate Professor of Sociology, University of Maine at Augusta, USA
- Katrin WellerConference Chair
Senior Researcher and the Head of the team “Social Analytics and Services” in the Department of Computational Social Science, GESIS – Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences in Köln (Cologne), Germany
- Chei Sian LeeConference Chair
Associate Professor in the Division of Information Studies in the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information at the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Jenna DrentenConference Chair
Acting Chair, Department of Marketing, Associate Professor, Loyola University Chicago, USA
- Céline Yunya SongConference Chair
Associate Professor in the Department of Journalism and Director of the AI and Media Research Lab, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong
- Felipe SoaresConference Chair
Postdoctoral Fellow, Social Media Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
2022 Conference Staff
- Alyssa SaiphooTeam MemberPostdoctoral Fellow, Social Media Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
- Rebeca Chacon CabreraTeam MemberResearch Assistant, Social Media Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
- Sophia LiTeam MemberResearch Assistant, Social Media Lab, Toronto Metropolitan University, Canada
2022 Program Committee
For 2022, the Program Committee for #SMSociety will be authors who have submitted their paper to the conference for consideration. For a submission to be considered, author(s) from each submission is required to peer review (double blind) three other conference submissions.