The 2022 International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety) invites scholarly and original submissions that relate to the broad theme of Social Media & Society. We welcome both quantitative and qualitative work which crosses interdisciplinary boundaries and expands our understanding of the current and future trends in social media research.
Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the 2022 conference will be hosted virtually. More details on how to submit and register for the conference will be announced on Monday, August 16, 2021. Stay tuned!
Paper (Extended Abstract)
Papers provide authors the opportunity to present their original work (either on a completed or ongoing project) related to the broad theme of social media and society.
- Due: Jan. 31, 2022
- How to submit: Submission page (via EasyChair): https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=smsociety22
- Submission Length: Extended abstract, 1000 (min) – 1500 (max) words, excluding references
- Submission must use the conference’s Submission Template
- Peer-Review Process: Extended abstracts are peer-reviewed (double blind) by other authors who submitted to the conference, and final decisions are adjudicated by the Organizing Committee.
- Allowed number of submissions: You may submit up to 2 submissions, but only 1 as a single or lead author
- Peer-Review Requirement: For a submission to be considered, one author from each submission is required to peer review (double blind) three other conference submissions. The expected review period is between February 1 – 28. Please make sure that you or one of your co-authors is available to conduct peer reviews during this period.
- Presentation Format: All accepted papers will have 15 min to present their work at the conference + 5 min for Q&A; each paper presentation will be recorded and made available to all registered attendees after the conference.
- Publication of Pre-prints and Datasets: To promote your work during and after the conference, authors of accepted papers (extended abstracts) are encouraged to share their work as a pre-print via EasyChair Preprint. Preprint will be accessible via the confernece online program and other channels. If you have a dataset to share, you can also upload it to one of many data repositories such as Dataverse or figshare. Authors of accepted papers will then have an opportunity to provide a link to their pre-print and/or dataset for inclusion in the conference program.
- Journal Publications: We hope that feedback received from other scholars during the review process and the Q&A part of your presentation will help you refine your ideas and develop your work into a full paper after the conference. Once ready, you are welcome to submit your full paper to a journal of your choice. We will also circulate calls for submissions to relevant journal special issues as they become available in 2022.
- Note to special issue editors: If you are planning to edit a special issue related to the broader topic of “Social Media and Society” and interested in getting some help to promote the call for submissions, please contact us to cross promote and coordinate the call for papers.
Workshop or Tutorial
Workshops or hands-on tutorials will examine a particular research area, a method or a tool for the analysis of social media data.
- Due: Mar. 14, 2022
- How to submit: If you have an idea for a workshop or tutorial, please submit it using this online form.
- Review process: Workshop and tutorial submissions are reviewed (not blind) by the Organizing Committee.
- Presentation Format: 55-min interactive, live session via Zoom or similar service; each session will be recorded and made available to all registered attendees after the conference.
Panel presentations provide 3-5 scholars the option of organizing related talks together in a thematic session.
- Due: Mar. 14, 2022
- How to submit: To submit a panel proposal, please use the following online form.
- Review process: Panel submissions are reviewed (not blind) by the Organizing Committee.
- Presentation Format: 55-min live session via Zoom or similar service; each panel will be recorded and made available to all registered attendees after the conference.