Dear SMSociety Community!
We are writing to let you know that the SMSociety organizing committee recently met to discuss the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the conference. Our plan until a few days ago was to keep calm and carry on, but out of an abundance of caution, as well as following guidance received from various levels of governments and universities, we believe that the responsible thing to do is to host the 2020 conference virtually and not contribute to the pandemic.
As a way to support our research community and to advance its scholarship we will:
- waive all registration fees for the virtual conference,
- cover all of the administrative and setup cost of hosting the conference virtually as well as publishing and copy-editing costs of the conference proceedings.
- If you have already registered for the conference in Chicago at DePaul University, we will be issuing you a full refund.
Authors of accepted WIP and full papers (to be announced on Monday, March 16) will be invited to pre-record their presentations as a 5-min lighting talk. The video will constitute a presentation at the 11th International Conference on Social Media and Society. On the day of the conference (July 22, 2020), all pre-recorded talks will be released simultaneously via our YouTube channel and promoted across our various online accounts for the biggest impact. Participants will be encouraged to engage with this content in an asynchronous fashion by using YouTube’s commenting feature and joining our Twitter chat using the conference hashtag #SMSociety. More logistical details such as how, when and where to submit/watch the videos will be forthcoming in late April.
Unfortunately, because of the new delivery format for the conference, we are not able to include posters, panels and workshops into the online delivery of the conference this year.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this change in plans might have caused you.
If you have any questions not covered by this announcement, please email us email@example.com
SMSociety’20 Organizing Committee
• Anatoliy Gruzd, Ryerson University, Canada – Conference Chair
• Philip Mai, Ryerson University, Canada – Conference Chair
• Raquel Recuero, Universidade Federal de Pelotas (UFPel), Brazil – Full Paper Chair
• Ángel Hernández-García, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain – Full Paper Chair
• Chei Sian Lee, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore – WIP Chair
• James Cook, University of Maine at Augusta, USA – WIP Chair
• Jaigris Hodson, Royal Roads University, Canada – Poster Chair
HOST COMMITTEE at DePaul University
• Bree McEwan, Communication Studies, Communication & Technology
• Jill Hopke, Journalism
• Hamed Qahri Saremi, Management Information Systems
• Juan Mundel, Advertising
• Paul Booth, Digital Communication & Media Arts
• Enid Montague, Human Computer Interaction
• Samantha Close, Digital Communication & Media Arts
• Nur Uysal, Public Relations