2017 Keynote Speakers
|Lee Rainie is the director of the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project, which has studied the social impact of digital technologies since 2000. He gives several dozen speeches a year to government officials, media leaders, scholars and students, technology executives, librarians, and non-profit groups about the changing media ecosystem. He also regularly interviewed by major news organizations about technology trends. Rainie is a co-author of Networked: The New Social Operating System and five books about the future of the Internet that are drawn from Pew Internet research. Prior to launching the Pew Internet Project, he was managing editor of U.S. News & World Report.||Ron Deibert, (OOnt, PhD, University of British Columbia) is Professor of Political Science, and Director of the Citizen Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto. The Citizen Lab is an interdisciplinary research and development laboratory working at the intersection of the digital technologies, global security, and human rights. He was a co-founder and a principal investigator of the OpenNet Initiative (2003-2014) and Information Warfare Monitor (2003-2012) projects. Deibert was one of the founders and (former) VP of global policy and outreach for Psiphon, one of the world’s leading digital censorship circumvention services.|
Past #SMSociety Keynotes
- Helen Kennedy2016 Keynote SpeakerProfessor of Digital Society, University of Sheffield, UK
- Susan Halford2016 Keynote SpeakerDirector, Web Science Institute, University of Southampton, UK
- William H. Dutton2015 Keynote SpeakerProfessor of Media and Information, Director Quello Center, Michigan State University
- John Weigelt2014 Keynote SpeakerChief Technology Officer (CTO) Microsoft Canada
- Keith N. Hampton2014 Keynote SpeakerAssociate Professor, School of Communication and Information, Rutgers University.
- Sharad Goel2013 KeynoteSenior Researcher, Microsoft Research
- Gilad Lotan2012 KeynoteChief Data Scientist, Betaworks
- Caroline Haythornthwaite2011 KeynoteDirector & Professor, The iSchool, University of British Columbia.
- Barry Wellman2010 KeynoteThe S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, Director Netlab, University of Toronto