Dear 2018 #SMSociety Delegates,
This is the second pre-conference digest with some essential information for your upcoming trip. If you missed the first digest, it is available at http://socialmediaandsociety.org/2018/smsociety18-pre-conference-digest-1/
Getting to Campus
The easiest and most economical way to get to campus is by metro/subway. If you are coming directly from the airport, take the 25-min ride via route M2 to Frederiksberg station (it’s 36DKK, ~$6 USD/4.2 £ /4.83 €). To compare, airport taxi to downtown would be around $50-60 USD. Neither Uber nor Lyft operates in the city.
Conference Venue & Start Time
The conference will be at the Copenhagen Business School (Solbjerg Pl. 3, 2000 Frederiksberg, Denmark). Please proceed to the Registration desk in the Atrium. Registration and coffee begin every day at 8:30am and the sessions start promptly at 9:00 am. Please arrive early.
Day 1: Workshops
Wed, July 18 is the first day of the conference which consists of three parallel workshops in the morning and three at afternoon. Check the Programme and pick one workshop for the morning and one for the afternoon. There is no need to pre-register. Please bring your laptop since most of the workshops are designed to provide some hands-on skills.
If you plan to attend Workshop 1B “Introduction to Social Media Network Analysis with NodeXL“, you will need to have a Windows laptop with Excel.
If you plan to attend Workshop 2B “Workshop: Building Your Own Cloud-Based Twitter Capture and Analysis Toolkit (TCAT)“, please make sure to have an active twitter account and an Amazon Web Services account (select the free tier option).
- Hint: it might be easier to setup these accounts prior to your travel since both require two-step phone verification.
- Please also download and install Putty and Puttygen.(MacOS users can use the built-in Terminal app.)
If you are a presenter or moderator:
- Please review the following page with important information: http://socialmediaandsociety.org/presenters-info/
- Find your session in the online Programme and locate your room number,
- Arrive to your session at least 5 min before the start and find your session moderator,
- Bring your slides on a USB key (also have a backup copy somewhere online) and your printed notes (if applicable).
- If you plan to use your own laptop, please bring any necessary adapters. The podium system has an HDMI connection.
Conference Official Twitter hashtag is #SMSociety
Please join the pre-conference chatter on Twitter and meet your fellow social media researchers by following and tweeting using the #SMSociety hashtag. Just like in the past years, we are going to have the Most Engaged Attendee on Twitter Award. So, start tweeting early and often!
Weather in Copenhagen
- Consider bringing a small umbrella since some light rain showers are expected on Tuesday, July 17 and/or Wednesday, July 18 (Day 1 of the Conference);
- The rest of the week is looking good: https://www.bbc.com/weather/2618425
- If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com or on Twitter @SocMediaConf
#SMSociety Organizing Committee